Fulwell Windmill started to appear on the Sunderland skyline in 1806 and became the familiar landmark we know today when opened in 1808.
Mill tours each Saturday 11am - 1.30pm
Tea Room open Wednesday - Saturday 10am - 2pm
Special events all year round - keep checking here for the latest news.
Due to possible changes in light of covid restrictions, please check opening times / days directly with the venue prior to your visit
Fulwell Windmill started to appear on the Sunderland skyline in 1806 and became the familiar landmark we know today when opened in 1808. Built for Joseph Swan out of magnesian limestone from the adjacent quarry, it retained its links with the Swan family for many years. 1839 saw the only recorded fatality at the mill when a journeyman miller, William Wren, was thrown from the sails during a violent storm. Regional archives show a succession of millers renting, or leasing, the mill until 1879 when the Moody family took over, operating the mill until 1949. With the advent of alternative, more reliable forms of power, windmills had to change or become obsolete. The major change that took place at Fulwell during this time was the removal of the sails and installation of a gas engine at the beginning of the twentieth century. The mill was therefore able to carry on producing animal feed for the next half century, even though the cap that had carried the sails, and some parts of the structure of the mill, deteriorated. After the last miller in the Moody family retired in 1949 a neighbour, Jim Simpson, from Ivy House carried on some work until 1956, on a part time basis.
The recently refurbished Fulwell Mill and Tea Room opened to visitors in 2019 but please be aware that opening times will have changed during the Covid-19 pandemic. Keep checking this page for the latest updates.